Whitby Town FC Fans Forum
April 25, 2019, 09:33:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: :: :: Home Page :: :: :: Latest Score Updates :: ::

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whitby Town v HEDNESFORD TOWN- preview  (Read 7079 times)
goose
Hardcore Supporter

UTB KTF ICWT WTFC

View Profile WWW
« on: January 08, 2007, 03:08:11 AM »

Fifth-placed Whitby Town take on second-placed Hednesford Town in a league match for the first time at the Turnbull Ground on Saturday.

Hednesford saw a 20-match unbeaten run ended on New Years Day, in front of 3,005 at their Keys Park home thanks to a solitary goal from leaders and neighbours AFC Telford United.

The Pitmen celebrate the tenth anniversary of their greatest ever achievement at the end of this month. After 72 years of failing to even qualify for the competition proper, Town despatched Southport, Blackpool, York City and led Premiership Middlesbrough in the FA Cup Fourth Round before eventually going down 3-2 at the Riverside Stadium as 27,500 looked on. 

The 1992 season saw the Staffordshire club bizarrely reach the final of the Welsh Cup, losing to Cardiff City, but enjoyed the consolation of grabbing promotion to the Midlands Premier Division.

Hednesford moved to their impressive Keys Park home in 1994- a 6,000+ capacity stadium which has a Football League A grading. Their first season saw promotion secured to the Vauxhall Conference and a commendable third place finish in their inaugaral campaign in Non-League's top tier.

After their 72 year failure to qualify, the Pitmen racked up five years of appearances in the competition proper of the FA Cup- reaching the second round twice and dumping out Hull City and Barnet along the way. But their league form faltered and after manager John Baldwin resigned following eight glorious years at the club, they were relegated for the first time in their history.

Last season, the West Midlands side finished bottom of the newly formed Conference North and find themselves in the Unibond Northern Premier League for the first time. After losing their management staff and most of their players, well-travelled former Nottingham Forest striker and Hucknall Town manager Phil Starbuck took the reins at Keys Park in the summer.

So far, things have gone well with Hednesford currently second in the table, leading third-placed Marine by six points, and fifth-placed Town by ten. They trail leaders Telford by four points. Interestingly, only Lincoln United outside the bottom four have netted less than the Staffordshire side's meagre 34-goal haul, with the trio of Darren Alexander(7), Mario Pedro(6) and Ross Dyer(6) their leading scorers. However, only Telford have conceded less than their miserly 20 goals in 25 league outings.

Saturday saw the Pitmen go three games without a win since Christmas after a shock 2-1 home defeat in the Unibond League Cup after Adam Morning struck in the 90th minute for First Division Woodley Sports.

Kick-off at the Turnbull Ground is 3.00pm with prices once again £6.50 Adults, £4.00 Concessions and £1 Under 16s. 

« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 02:04:52 AM by goose » Report to moderator   Logged

DIFFERENT GROUNDS VISITED: 108. LATEST: MARINERS PARK, SOUTH SHIELDS FC 26/1/19

If you don't f***ing bounce, you love Scarborough.
Railway Blue
Hardcore Supporter

Entry through here please

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 01:25:12 PM »

and led Premiership Middlesbrough in the FA Cup Fourth Round before eventually going down at the Riverside Stadium as 27,500 looked on.

I was at that game....... good crowd expected for Saturday i am sure, 450 ish???
Report to moderator   Logged
goose
Hardcore Supporter

UTB KTF ICWT WTFC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 03:02:22 PM »

I'm not sure how many they take away from home. Maybe 375-400 like the Ilkeston game. Decent chance of 400+ if the weather stays fine.

Barney

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 02:09:07 AM »

Depends what team turns up for us I reckon. I hear we appear to be lacking usual fizz down both wings at moment.

Hope weather stays good for you all. I'm really looking forward to this one. A win could turn the play-off race on it's head. A loss may cripple our hopes. Big, big game.
goose
Hardcore Supporter

UTB KTF ICWT WTFC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 04:30:28 PM »

A definite six-pointer, I hope the Town sees that and turns out in number. Maybe this lad from York is the answer to our wing problems. Also, get well soon Karl. Heard Ant's new arrival was affecting his sleep patterns and was the reason why he started Saturday's match on the bench. Sure it won't be a problem beyond the next two years or so!

Northampton Blue
Hardcore Supporter

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 09:57:26 PM »

The 1992 season saw the Staffordshire club bizarrely reach the final of the Welsh Cup, losing to Cardiff City,

That is quite Bizarre! Just got to ask how the hell did that happen?

Formerly Oxford Blue
Railway Blue
Hardcore Supporter

Entry through here please

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 11:25:39 PM »

Inbred?HuhHuh? Grin
goose
Hardcore Supporter

UTB KTF ICWT WTFC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 01:42:24 AM »

I've no idea ringer, I can't find an explanation on their website. It isn't a million miles from the Welsh border but still, they are in England. Anyone from Hednesford know why?

Barney

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 03:07:26 AM »

Imagine they will be as nervous about this game as we are.

See they will be without top scorer Darren Alexander for return match, and also Richard Butler. Both handed 3 match suspensions. Apart from us, both also miss Burscough and Leek.
goose
Hardcore Supporter

UTB KTF ICWT WTFC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 03:16:33 AM »

That's certainly something. I'm looking forward to visiting Keys Park for the first time.

6,000+ stadium, with a Football League A Grading.

CW@HTFC

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 08:09:50 AM »

Was thinking of driving up and having a stop over on Saturday is there anything to do in Whitby in January? I'm sure someone can point us in the right direction!!

As for the Welsh Cup that is, I believe, an invitational thing for teams near the border (I'm not sure how far away we are but it must be at least 40 miles as the crow flies!) so there is no real good reason! Hereford, Shrewsbury, Chester etc I could understand.

I had heard that the weather is not expected to be too good in Whitby this weekend do you know if there will be a pitch inspection required? Looking forward to a good weekend ahead, see you there.
goose
Hardcore Supporter

UTB KTF ICWT WTFC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 03:13:48 PM »

Hmmm not a huge amount to do bar finding a fish and chip restaurant, then moving onto a pub and watching the 12.45 Premiership game.

Have a look on the main www.whitby-town.com site for the pub guide.

It's been a bit wet up here lately, but no word on an inspection as of yet. 

Barney

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 08:09:45 PM »

A definite six-pointer, I hope the Town sees that and turns out in number. Maybe this lad from York is the answer to our wing problems. Also, get well soon Karl. Heard Ant's new arrival was affecting his sleep patterns and was the reason why he started Saturday's match on the bench. Sure it won't be a problem beyond the next two years or so!

Have now heard this lad's name is Brian Stewart, do not know if he is staying with us or not though. Would be useful Saturday if he was.
-Nick-
Hardcore Supporter

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2007, 10:07:33 PM »

Have now heard this lad's name is Brian Stewart, do not know if he is staying with us or not though. Would be useful Saturday if he was.

http://www.ycfc.net/news/july06/4.php Undecided  Just looked on football manager and Bryan Stewart is an AML, played 10 time in League Two in the 2003-04 season, not scoring, played 18 times in Conference in 2004-05 season, scoring once and in 2005-06 he played 21 times in the Conference scoring twice. They reckon him to be quite pacey also. Football manager uses proper history for players and looks in depth at all players so the figures are accurate
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 10:17:43 PM by Bruno4england » Report to moderator   Logged
whitbyite400

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2007, 10:24:17 PM »

Whitby played Hednesford in the FA Trophy about 1994/95 at Hednesford.
we got beat about 3-1 i think.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: