Whitby Town FC Fans Forum
April 23, 2019, 09:52:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: :: :: Home Page :: :: :: Latest Score Updates :: ::

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whitby Town v ILKESTON TOWN- preview  (Read 5201 times)
goose
Hardcore Supporter

UTB KTF ICWT WTFC

View Profile WWW
« on: November 15, 2006, 03:27:58 PM »

The Blues entertain Nigel Jemson's Ilkeston Town on Saturday, hoping to claim their seventh straight home win and retain fourth spot with three sides poised to leapfrog them. Guiseley, Witton Albion and Burscough could push the Seasiders down to seventh if results go against Town.

In the corresponding fixture last season, Whitby won 2-0 on the opening day of the season, with Scott Nicholson and Ant Ormerod on target- the clubs played out a goal-less draw in the return.

Ilkeston, currently in ninth spot, will likely prove tough opposition. The Derbyshire side are unbeaten in six, conceding just twice and held leaders Telford 1-1 away from home, on Tuesday night. 11-goal Adam Muller grabbed the equaliser at the New Bucks Head and will be the man to watch in red tomorrow(Saturday).

Jemson himself may also be worth keeping an eye on following a clash with normally mild-mannered former Whitby manager Harry Dunn at Blyth last season. The two bosses squared up during the 1-1 draw at Croft Park in April, afterwards Dunn added: "I was more disappointed with Jemson, who has done it all in football yet does the game a dis-service with his behaviour. I cannot remember refusing to shake hands with an opposing manager in seventeen years in non-League management."

Another ex-Whitby link is Ilkeston striker Robert Gill, who had an undistinguished loan spell from Scarborough in 2004. The 24-year-old has netted four goals in his last six outings for the New Manor Ground club.

The Blues haven't lost at the Turnbull Ground in the league since Ilkeston's neighbours Matlock won 2-1 on September 2nd. Manager Lee Nogan will be hoping to welcome back defenders Tom Reid and Aron Wilford, with most supporters likely to get a first glimpse of on-loan Darlington left-back Alex Janes.

Kick-off on Saturday at the Turnbull Ground is 3.00pm, with admission remaining £6.50 Adults, £4.00 Concessions, and just £1.00 for Under 16s.  
Report to moderator   Logged

DIFFERENT GROUNDS VISITED: 108. LATEST: MARINERS PARK, SOUTH SHIELDS FC 26/1/19

If you don't f***ing bounce, you love Scarborough.
alex(club shop) ilkeston

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 10:46:08 PM »

looking forward to the trip up to whitby.i will be up their on friday.

10 of us have hired a house for the weekend so i think a couple of beers will be called for Smiley

see u all for a beer and a chat at the match before and after i hope beer
goose
Hardcore Supporter

UTB KTF ICWT WTFC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 02:10:46 AM »

Cool, will look forward to it Alex.

Barney

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 07:52:35 PM »

The Blues entertain Nigel Jemson's Ilkeston Town on Saturday, hoping to claim their seventh straight home win and retain fourth spot with three sides poised to leapfrog them. Guiseley, Witton Albion and Burscough could push the Seasiders down to seventh if results go against Town.

In the corresponding fixture last season, Whitby won 2-0 on the opening day of the season, with Scott Nicholson and Ant Ormerod on target- the clubs played out a goal-less draw in the return.

Ilkeston, currently in ninth spot, will likely prove tough opposition. The Derbyshire side are unbeaten in six, conceding just twice and held leaders Telford 1-1 away from home, on Tuesday night. 11-goal Adam Muller grabbed the equaliser at the New Bucks Head and will be the man to watch in red tomorrow(Saturday).

Ilkeston have yet to beat a side currently in top half of league this season and have only got four points from four draws from top 12 opposition.

We have only got six points from two wins from top 12 opposition in contrast.

If the league was only amongst the top 12, we would both both be bottom.

Anyone else fancy a draw?
goose
Hardcore Supporter

UTB KTF ICWT WTFC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 02:38:36 AM »

We'd be 11th  Grin

Good job it isn't split between the top 12.

Anyone else remember when we did the double over the then champions Leigh RMI then ended up losing 5-0 at Bamber Bridge or something similar, sure it was around the same time.

Barney

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 03:29:49 AM »

Your right goose, on current form amongst the present top 12, the league would look: Marine, Telford, Burscough, Matlock, Guiseley, Lincoln, Fleetwood, Hednesford, Witton, Ferriby, Whitby and Ilkeston, in that order.

Before Ilkeston we have only taken 6 points from a possible 15 from these sides, albeit we have beaten Marine.

Quite forboding that we still have to face 7 of these sides home and away yet, and Marine and Matlock away.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 03:34:28 AM by Barney » Report to moderator   Logged
goose
Hardcore Supporter

UTB KTF ICWT WTFC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 02:45:34 PM »

Na it's an opportunity Barney, we were playing utter dross when we lost to Matlock and Guiseley, we also lost our central midfield in a matter of minutes against the former, which doesn't help.

Barney

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 04:30:12 PM »

Wish I had your confidence goose, but personally think we will be down to 7th or 8th and no away points come Xmas. Unless of course we can shore up a leaky defence, losing on average two goals a game.
goose
Hardcore Supporter

UTB KTF ICWT WTFC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 06:38:54 PM »

We've already got 11 points away from home Barney.

Barney

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 07:35:48 PM »

We've already got 11 points away from home Barney.

Agreed, but all from teams currently labouring in the bottom half of the league.

Of the two teams in the top half we have played away, Guiseley and Lincoln, we haven't even scored.

Not trying to be a prophet of doom here, just worried about Decembers aways at Gateshead (a Monday night), Telford (in awsome form) and Burscough (also in awsome form and on 30 Dec.). Think we will have to be a lot tighter at back to get anything from these matches.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 01:34:11 AM by Barney » Report to moderator   Logged
goose
Hardcore Supporter

UTB KTF ICWT WTFC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2006, 02:00:12 AM »

I think the problem at Lincoln was doing anything but score rather than the leaky defence. Guiseley we were woefully depleted and, I hope, was a one off.

The games you mention will be tough, but I think we will go into them with much more confidence than those matches you've previously mentioned.

Though right now I'm looking forward to three home matches, two of which being must win!

Northampton Blue
Hardcore Supporter

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2006, 06:40:30 PM »

Anyone else remember when we did the double over the then champions Leigh RMI then ended up losing 5-0 at Bamber Bridge or something similar, sure it was around the same time.

I dont know if it was the same seaon but we were well beaten at Bamber then - think it was possibly the worst whitby showing i had seen.  I think whe did quite well that season as well so it could well have been.

We went and took another battering there the next season!!

Formerly Oxford Blue
goose
Hardcore Supporter

UTB KTF ICWT WTFC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2006, 07:14:18 PM »

Yeah, we consistently beat the best sides, and lost to the bottom markers.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: